RARA-AVIS: Talkin'

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 29 Nov 2001

Before people get too excited and start a big debate about Miles's place in the musical world, let's remember we should keep things related to hardboiled writing and not stray into jazz debates (and I'm suspcious of legal thrillers, too).

I join in the recommendation of Art Pepper's and Anita O'Day's autobiographies, and people might like Mezz Mezzrow's too, which is full of great slang. They make a real-life flip side to the nightclub world we read about in the period novels. Pepper and O'Day had hellishly tough lives and the books, as I recall, fit into the hardboiled non-fiction category we sometimes find.

Bill