Re: RARA-AVIS: Digest - Easy Rawlins

From: Schooley ( gsp.schoo@skylinc.net)
Date: 28 Nov 2001

Pat Zeitoun wrote:

> Excuse me, but if the reader is American, how is he foreign?

Why would you assume the qualifier applies?

> > What about Easy Rawlins? To me, he feels very foreign.
> >
> > Marianne

I think we've sort of assumed Mosley fits the discussion we've been having about African/American authors. I sort of took most statements as: "besides Mosely, who is there and what are they writing?"

But the word "foreign" IS interesting. Maybe it's a function of proximity and the overwhelming presence of U.S. based cultural media here, but Mosely's writing does not seem foreign to me, though there are no black ghettoes the size of Rawlin's Watts in any Canadian city that I know of.

If this were merely a function of style, I doubt Rawlins would seem foreign to you, Marianne

Kerry

--

The evil that men do lives after them at http://www.murderoutthere.com
Literary events in Ontario's Golden Horseshoe and around the world at http://www.lit-electric.com
<<<<<<<<<<<IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES>>>>>>>>>>>>