Re: RARA-AVIS: John Francis Cuddy II

From: Jeremiah Healy ( jeremiahealy@earthlink.net)
Date: 28 Nov 2001

Mark asked about naming characters. "John Francis Cuddy" is a threesome: My uncle's first name was John, my dad's middle name was Francis, and the last name of the Irish-American receptionist at my old lawfirm in Boston was Cuddy.

As to "Terry Devane" for a pseudonym, a little more complicated. The lead character in the new legal thriller series is a young, female, Irish-American attorney. "Terry" is gender-neutral, because I didn't want to seem to be "impersonating" the other gender. "Devane" is Irish-American, but it is also a "D" name, and the next time you're in a big bookstore, you might notice that the "D's" are almost always shelved within a foot of eye level for most adults.

Marketing, Marketing, Marketing.

Best from Boston,

Jerry