RARA-AVIS: Black Writers/California Fire and Life/St. Martin's First P.I. Awards

From: T.Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@escape.ca)
Date: 27 Nov 2001

I was going to send a message about how much I enjoyed Gary Phillips', The Jook, when George Pelecanos beat me to it. Being up here in the Canadian prairies, I really can't comment if Phillips captured the "African-American sensibility" but The Jook took me to places I hadn't previously visited. Last year another Phillips mystery titled Only the Wicked was supposed to be released. Anyone know anything about it? It was set in L.A. and had something to do with Negro Leagues baseball. Early this morning I finished California Fire and Life by Don Winslow that won the Shamus Award. Anything on Winslow doing a sequel? I have several of his other books including Isle of Joy, which I brought in from England, but have never been able to get into them. Also can anyone comment on the last couple of St. Martin's Best First P.I. Novel winners? The latest is Catching Water in a Net by J.L. Abramo.

Kent Morgan in Winnipeg