Re: RARA-AVIS: John Francis Cuddy II

From: Jeremiah Healy ( jeremiahealy@earthlink.net)
Date: 27 Nov 2001

Mark,

        Actually, I wrote TURNABOUT back in 1989 as a break from Cuddy (which was between books 5 and 6 in the series). The manuscript received no takers then, but when Ed Gorman asked me if I had any unpublished private-eye novels, I sent it to him, and he liked it. I'm glad to see that his confidence is being confirmed by Publishers Weekly.

        I do think taking a break from a series keeps it fresher, as I've done with legal thrillers (THE STALKING OF SHEILAH QUINN under my own name, UNCOMMON JUSTICE under "Terry Devane"). However, the reason I've kept a small continuing cast in the Cuddy series is to avoid having to account for a lot of people in a way that would slow down the plot (or make it appear "padded").

Best from Boston,

Jerry