Re: RARA-AVIS: Himes & 1st/3rd person

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Nov 2001

--- Mark Sullivan < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> wrote:
> Well, I know there are others on the list that are
> far more familiar
> than I with black crime writers (Well, George?), but
> I'll start.

Don't look at me. I've read and enjoyed Himes. There are plenty of other writers whose pictures don't appear on the books I have, so half the writers I read could be black for all I know (including Bill Crider).
 But I can't think of anyone else who appears to be writing from an "African-American sensibility," whatever that is.

I have, however, read OUT OF THE WOODPILE, which is one of the books of criticism Jordan mentioned. Unfortunately, I can't remember much about it. I don't think I've ever quoted it anywhere (unlike Bill Crider), but I could be wrong.

And since I'm posting, let me thank those of you who have contributed to the recent discussion on the mixing of first- and third-person person points of view. I'm working on an essay on Block's latest, and your input has helped me come up with a sort of context into which to place the book (in addition, of course, to the contexts of H-B in general and the Scudder series in particular).

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/