RARA-AVIS: 1st/3rd person

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 26 Nov 2001

I have to say that I think the mingling of 1st and 3rd person can work very well - haven't read the Parker book, but I liked the device in "LA Requiem" and some of the more recent Jan Burke books (ie, "Bones"). I think it's a perfectly sensible way of allowing the author to keep the voice and immediacy of a first person narrative while providing information and points of view that the first person narrator can't have. Of course, the author COULD tell the whole thing in third person but if the vast majority of the book is going to be from the "hero"'s POV, and the series has previously been told from in first person, it seems like a best of both worlds situation to me. There does reach a point where the book gets so far outside the "narrator" character that it's better just to switch to 3rd person - as Burke did in her most recent book, "Flight." But otherwise I don't really see a problem.

Carrie