Re: RARA-AVIS: used books

From: Jeremiah Healy ( jeremiahealy@earthlink.net)
Date: 26 Nov 2001

Mark asked about "used books" vs. Ebay, etc. One author's opinion: If a reader really liked a book, he or she probably holds onto it. Hence, authors with quality work like Ben Schutz [correct spelling] might not make it to used-book venues. Also, the problem of "stock" is usually a publisher having pulped books rather than remaindering them. Therefore, there may not be much inventory in existence, either in used-book stores or the author's own hands.

Personally, I'm happy to have my work "discovered" cheaply in a used version for just the price-resistance, loss-leader reasons Mark mentioned.

Best from Boston,

Jerry