RARA-AVIS: used books

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 25 Nov 2001

I have not seen many used books at non-collector's prices by December's guest of the month, Benjamin Shutz. Combined with that, the owner of the best Chicago used book for older books told me his inventory is way down because with sites like Ebay or Yahoo people are not selling their older books to local stores but expect to get much higher prices by selling on the web.

I realize an author receives nothing more once his or her book is sold at retail, but I for one am willing to try an author I've never read if I see a pb, for example, for less than five dollars but balk at paying over ten for the same thing. It seems to me an author has a vested interest in having his books read by as many people as possible. For instance, I picked up my first of the Richard Stark Parker books for around $3.00, but now will pay $25 for the newest hb in the series.

Do the the authors on this list should have opinions about this? Mark

.