Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: career and peak and more questions to Jerry Healy

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 23 Nov 2001

George wrote:

"Well, it depends on how you define "central to the series," I suppose. Both Lisa Holtzman (or whatever he name was--Scudder's ex-mistress) and Jim Faber, his AA sponsor, died violent deaths in that book. While Lisa wasn't an important character at that point in the series, there were certainly novels in which her presence was "central." And I'd argue that Jim Faber was probably the most important recurring character in the series besides the four you listed."

I agree that Lisa was definitely central at one time, but she had pretty much outlived her place in the series, so her death probably won't reverberate too much. You make a good case for Jim Faber, though. In many ways, Faber was Scudder's Superego, while Mick is his Id. It could be interesting to see how Scudder operates without that shoring. (I haven't read Hope to Die, yet, so I don't know if it really has made a difference; I'm just speculating.)

Mark