RARA-AVIS: Boston - Spenser and private eye ethics

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 23 Nov 2001

In a private discussion I had with Mark I think one paragraph I wrote seems appropriate for this list:

I think Robert Parker's slide began when he could not separate Spenser from himself. He had to do something to make Spenser's character's actions in line with what he thought was morally right. That's why he hit on the idea of using an already existing character who would be suitable. Spenser now could do anything done and not be sullied. Ironically this use of Hawk as his dark, or you could even just say his say unfettered side, made the series very popular-- something he couldn't manage artistically. While his books were doing so well he had a huge incentive to keep the three major characters and churn them out basically unchanged. Mark .