Re: RARA-AVIS: Yep, it's gotta be Taibo

From: Mrriter@aol.com
Date: 21 Nov 2001

In a message dated 11/21/2001 6:18:05 AM Mountain Standard Time, kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com writes:

I know Taibo bumps off his P.I., Hector Belascoran Shayne, and then brings him back in a subsequent book, supposedly without even pausing to comment on it. But I think he only does this once.

Yeah, that's Taibo. Hector is resurrected in Return To The Same City. There is an Author's Note that gives a bit of explanation, certainly no apology, for the death of the main guy and his return. Taibo says, "His appearance in these pages is therefore an act of magic. White magic perhaps, but magic that is irrational and disrespectful toward the occupation of writing a mystery series. ... As always, it must be said that the story told here belongs to the terrain of absolute fiction, although Mexico is the same and belongs to the terrain of surprising reality." Turns out Taibo apparently bowed to readers' demands that Hector not be killed off, and the author realized he had a few stories left to tell about his P.I.

I look forward to more discussion about Taibo during January when the theme becomes "Latino Noir and Hard-Boiled."

Manuel Ramos www.manuelramos.com