RARA-AVIS: Yep, it's gotta be Taibo

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 21 Nov 2001

Jerry wrote, in response to Anthony:

>Maybe you're referring to Paco Taibo II, who was born in Spain, lives in
>Mexico, and heads up Semana Negra in Gijon (Spain) each July.

Yep, that's gotta be who Anthony's referring too. I haven't read all the way up to that point, yet, but I know Taibo bumps off his P.I., Hector Belascoran Shayne, and then brings him back in a subsequent book, supposedly without even pausing to comment on it. But I think he only does this once.

But the series is well worth reading, both for the sharply-etched picture it paints of Mexican culture and society (a far cry from the standard "let's go down to Tijuana and get drunk and fuck whores" jaunt that way too many novels in the genre fall back on), its altogether too-human detective (give or take a little rising from the dead) and for the sometimes surrealistic edge Taibo brings to his noir morality plays.

--

Kevin Burton Smith The Thrilling Detective Web Site http://www.thrillingdetective.com
This issue, the Private Eye Goes Global. Plus Thrilling Detective Web Fiction from John Swan, D.L. Browne and Steve Kaye. -- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/ .