Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: career and peak

From: Jeremiah Healy ( jeremiahealy@earthlink.net)
Date: 20 Nov 2001

Mark,

        First, thanks for the kind words about the Cuddy character and the books he appears in. As to the war issue, let me borrow from the world of logic. I'm not sure it's a necessary condition that the shadow of war fall on a noir hero, but I do think it is a sufficient one. While I served in the Military Police as a lieutenant during the same era that Cuddy did, I never served in Vietnam (most of my crime scene, etc. real-life experience was from five summers spent working in a Sheriff's Office, though that's another story). However, so many of my friends did, and came back to lead productive lives, that I thought it was about time some author painted a Vietnam vet who might have flashbacks but nevertheless blended back into society the way MOST WW II and Korean War vets did.

        I do think non-war experiences can provide equal "depth" to a character. For example in my new legal thriller series (written under the pseudonym "Terry Devane," the female attorney is a former star hockey player (on a boys' team in high school) and the older, male attorney is a former prizefighter. I've found it interesting to explore how these two deal with "noir" issues from their backgrounds.

Best from Boston,

Jerry