Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: The unexamined life

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 20 Nov 2001

Gerald wrote:

"At the other end of the spectrum is Lew Archer, whom I found had very little personality. He was supposed to be a lens through which readers could view the world and maybe role-play as Mark said. It disturbed me, though, to feel after three books that I didn't know the man."

You know, I hear this criticism a lot. Maybe it's because I placed myself so thoroughly inside him and/or because I was even more susceptible to that when I was 20, but it wasn't until years after I read the whole series in quick succession that I realized how little I knew about Lew Archer.

Mark