Re: RARA-AVIS: RE:Book lengths and the unexamined life

From: Schooley ( gsp.schoo@skylinc.net)
Date: 20 Nov 2001

Dick Lochte wrote:

> Chandler didn't bother with
> such guff. The fact that Marlowe knew and liked the game of chess said
> enough about the man.

and

> What we know about them, particularly Hammett's characters,
> comes from reading between the lines.

I believe this defines the difference between reading and watching television or a movie. The visual media provide so much information with a single shot- all those physical details like the character's appearance, clothing etc. TV & the Movies are how most people consume fiction these days, but the characters belong to the creators. How often are we disappointed when the characters in a movie based upon a book aren't the way we've imagined them?

A few telling details in the book however, and the reader fills in the rest. The characters belong to the reader. Books are the original interactive medium.

Kerry

--

The evil that men do lives after them at http://www.murderoutthere.com
Literary events in Ontario's Golden Horseshoe and around the world at http://www.lit-electric.com
<<<<<<<<<<<IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES>>>>>>>>>>>>