Re: RARA-AVIS: RE:Book lengths and the unexamined life

From: Schooley (
Date: 20 Nov 2001

Dick Lochte wrote:

> Chandler didn't bother with
> such guff. The fact that Marlowe knew and liked the game of chess said
> enough about the man.

> What we know about them, particularly Hammett's characters,
> comes from reading between the lines.

I believe this defines the difference between reading and watching television or a movie. The visual media provide so much information with a single shot- all those physical details like the character's appearance, clothing etc. TV & the Movies are how most people consume fiction these days, but the characters belong to the creators. How often are we disappointed when the characters in a movie based upon a book aren't the way we've imagined them?

A few telling details in the book however, and the reader fills in the rest. The characters belong to the reader. Books are the original interactive medium.

The evil that men do lives after them at
Literary events in Ontario's Golden Horseshoe and around the world at
<<<<<<<<<<<IN ALL THE WRONG PLACES>>>>>>>>>>>>

-- # To unsubscribe from the regular list, say "unsubscribe rara-avis" to # This will not work for the digest version. # The web pages for the list are at .