Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: career and peak

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 19 Nov 2001

George wrote:

"And speaking of sidekicks, Scudder has another one (besides Mick, I mean), the streetwise TJ, who is considerably less sociopathic than Scudder himself."

TJ's the man.

As far as series trajectory goes, in my mind Scudder is another series that took a little while to come together. The first few books were good enough, but not close to what the series became, beginning with 8 Million Ways to Die and When the Sacred Ginmill Closes. I'm not sure Block has maintained his incredibly high peaks, but his off-peak is still higher than many writers' best.

Mark