Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler, Parker, and Starting Late

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Nov 2001

--- Gerald So < gso@optonline.net> wrote:
> Parker began THE GODWULF MANUSCRIPT--his first
> attempt at fiction--in
> 1971 at the age of thirty-eight.

I think one of Parker's problems is that he's never been rejected. He wrote GODWULF in about a year, if I remember correctly, and sold it to the first publisher he showed it to in about three weeks. Since then, he's pretty much had his novels sold before he wrote them. And he takes less and less time to write each one.

I think a rejection slip might do him some good. At least, I keep telling myself that mine are doing me some good.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/