RE: RARA-AVIS: Re: career and peak

From: btoomey@javanet.com
Date: 19 Nov 2001

<<<<< I could also say that Parker surpasses Chandler in writing a more accessible, better-rounded character, but I think better rounded characters are a function of time.

I don't know what that means, better rounded characters being a fuction of time -- is that like being of their age or period, more recent being rounder? Can't be. Shakespere's characters are as rounded as you can get. Please clarify.

As for rounding off the usual suspects, I'm not Chandler's biggest fan, but Spenser is a long hard run away from being half as real as Marlowe, although he wishes he had one tenth of Marlowe's poetry or wit.

BobT

-------------------------------------------------------------------- mail2web - Check your email from the web at http://mail2web.com/ .