Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: career and peak

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 19 Nov 2001

Gerald wrote:

"If Parker had stopped with VALEDICTION, his career quality would surpass Chandler."

Just making sure, you are saying that Parker through Valediction surpasses Chandler's series of Marlowe novels, right?

I'm not saying it's impossible for a student to outshine the teacher, but I don't think it happened here. I know this is a terribly subjective thing, but I'm curious about what you believe places Parker above Chandler? I was a fan of Parker's early books, but I stopped reading him after Early Autumn and Rachel Wallace. I just couldn't take the neo-Hemingway, but sensitive attitude anymore.

Mark