Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: career and peak

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 19 Nov 2001

<<I think Donald Westlake, has pretty consistently written quality books, but he has done that by writing stand alone books and those in very unlike series.>>

To judge by recent books like _The Ax_ and _The Hook_, both masterpieces of noir writing, Westlake is peaking right now. But I agree that he has maintained a consistently
(very) high level throughout. By the way, Willeford wrote high quality stuff until the end of his life, as did Ross Thomas.

About _The Hook_, which I read very recently: the author managed to make the book both scary and moving. He really makes those two writers live. It's one of his most heartfelt books. All the suspense gimmicks are perfectly integrated. I am surprised that this book is not better known.

About Chandler, production and batting averages: one should not forget that Chandler started writing relatively late in his life.

Regards,

MrT

=====
"Don't just do something, sit there!" Thich Nhat Hanh