Re: RARA-AVIS: homophobia in HB

From: Kent Westmoreland ( kentwestmoreland@hotmail.com)
Date: 18 Nov 2001

Some critics have seen Marlowe as a latent homosexual who "mooned" over big men - Moose Malloy and Red the boat skipper for example.

Perhaps Marlowe was homophobic because he hated his homosexual yearnings. More likely some people have tried to over analyze Marlowe and he was neither. To paraphrase Alfred Hitchcock Marlowe's adventures were just stories.

Kent Westmoreland

----Original Message Follows---- From: "Carrie Pruett" < pruettc@hotmail.com> Reply-To: rara-avis@icomm.ca To: rara-avis@icomm.ca Subject: RARA-AVIS: homophobia in HB Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2001 20:27:38

Kevin wrote
>Considering Marlowe's rampant homophobia....

Y>eah, we've all heard the theories about Marlowe, but rampant? I think that tag's pushing it a little.

>Okay, Marlowe doesn't like gays, particularly those he saw as less
>than "manly," but who did, in the pulp fiction of the time? Look at
>how Hammett sneered at and tormented Wilmer and Cairo in THE MALTESE
F>ALCON, for example.

perhaps poor word choice, and I wasn't making any suggestion that Chandler was any worse than anybody else, just that I couldn't see the guy who wrote that "a sissy could never throw a good punch" or something on those lines as getting a kick out of writing a veiled gay love story. There are also a lot of urban legends of dubious veracity to this effect about other films (Gore Vidal, I think, has made similar comments about Heston in Ben Hur which Richard Roeper disputes in his book on Hollywood urban legends; not claiming to know the final word on this). But if you'd like, I withdraw rampant and say simply "obvious." I hadn't thought "Falcon" was quite as bad as Chandler, but then I only recently found out what "gunsel" meant :)

Carrie