RE: RARA-AVIS: "the races"/Kevin: Pruett after Smith

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 16 Nov 2001

Rather better, maybe, considering the poor performance of both Cromwell's CITIZEN BAINES, now cancelled, and Dreyfus's THE EDUCATION OF MAX BICKFORD, being retooled to make it blander and, the network hopes, less off-putting. Probably soon cancelled, as a result.

The Hub of the Universe, is, of course, the whole city of Boston. TM

-----Original Message----- From: Carrie Pruett [mailto: pruettc@hotmail.com]

Kevin wrote:

>Well, if the Hub is the sort of Cambridge/downtown Boston axis, that's
> >where I was.

I think the Hub is a nickname for Boston as a whole, though I'm not sure.

Kevin wrote:
>An even better argument, though, is that the show just wasn't that >strong.

Good point and one that I meant to make in my post on the subject. I think the issue is much less with audiences being unwilling to accept such a series as the people who actually develop the shows not developing quality material, probably partly out of preconceived notions about what an audience

will "accept." Any doubt that, say, Samuel L. Jackson, who's a huge box office draw, is every bit as capable of carrying a TV series as, say, Richard Dreyfuss or James Cromwell?