RE: RE: RARA-AVIS: Boston: Chicago: Nevins

From: Todd Mason ( Todd.Mason@tvguide.com)
Date: 15 Nov 2001

And the cops are at least as mean, or so this 1996 Chicago Counter-Convention veteran recalls.

See, Kevin, we're talking human condition here. TM

-----Original Message----- From: jjnevins@ix.netcom.com [mailto: jjnevins@ix.netcom.com]

rara-avis@icomm.ca wrote:
> For a lot of Bostonians, their neighborhood is at least as important
> as thecity (or the world) as a whole, yes. At least, that's the way
> it used to be, and I doubt it's changed that quickly over the last
> decade or so. And it did seem more pronounced than when I was in
> Chicago and other famously Balkanized cities I've visited over the
> last twenty years.

Yes, Boston is more Balkanized, and more pronouncedly so, than Chicago. But, based on my years of living in both cities, I'd have to say that Chicago is at least as full of segregation and open prejudice & bigotry as Boston is.