Re: RARA-AVIS: Parker's latest

From: Gerald So ( gso@optonline.net)
Date: 15 Nov 2001

George Upper wrote:

<< Does anyone else think that Parker might benefit from some short story writing? >>

Parker has long contended he hasn't the knack to write short stories. I haven't read his only Spenser short, "Surrogate," but I think Parker's way-with-words style--sometimes evocative, sometimes just wordy--needs the space of a short novel. And his primary theme ("Keep doing what you're doing; eventually things will go your way.") needs a novel's layers for disguise. Parker at his best is efficient, but he doesn't condense things into snapshots like Hoch or Block.

Gerald