Re: RARA-AVIS: Sidekicks

From: Teri Stock ( tstock@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 15 Nov 2001

Mario Taboada says regarding Spenser's standing by while Hawk kills someone:
======== Huh? This is a new definition of morality. Among other things, it justifies hiring a hit man...
======== I don't think the decision does any such thing. What I think it does condone, after a fashion, is being friends with a hit man, which is a very different thing.

I am have friends who live their lives by very different precepts than mine, from prostitutes to fundamentalist Christians. I don't feel compelled to force them to live by my ethical code and in fact, part of the cost of friendship is this tolerance, isn't it? Spenser trying to enforce his morality on Hawk would be completely out of character for the man as I have come to know him over Parker's many books.

And yes, I still read and thoroughly enjoy the Spenser series. The later entries may not be groundbreaking, but they are thoroughly enjoyable. Of course, I'm one of those usual people who likes the clever repartee between Spenser and Susan. In fact, I must confess, I even like Pearl, the Wonder Dog, who reminds me more than a little of my own spoiled beasts.

Teri