RARA-AVIS: love stories

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 15 Nov 2001

>On a related note, some time ago George told me that he read (in the >BFI
>book on the movie) that Billy Wilder and Raymond Chandler wrote >Double
>Indemnity as a love story between Fred MacMurray and Edward G. >Robinson,
>not between MacMurray and Barbara Stanwyck.

Considering Marlowe's rampant homophobia, I doubt that Chandler meant it
"that way." But "love story" works on a lot of levels; I don't doubt that Spenser loves Hawk, Elvis loves Joe, and Kirk loves Spock without having to take any of this to the level of slash fiction. For that matter, I've always thought Casablanca was a love story between Rick and Louis. No wonder he's so eager to get her on that plane . . .

Carrie