RARA-AVIS: Robinson Crusoe and the Ethnic Sidekick

From: Frederick Zackel ( fzackel@wcnet.org)
Date: 15 Nov 2001

In a piece of blatant self-promotion, I admit I traced the ethnic sidekick back to Robinson Crusoe, the first mass-produced story for a mass audience. The essay appeared two years or so ago in Bright Lights Film Journal. http://www.brightlightsfilm.com/30/index.html The paradigm still plays out in many hard-boiled books and films, but also is the centerpiece of other fare such as the movies Shrek, the Mummy Returns, The Fifth Element, Rush Hour 2, Hardball, and the TV shows Enterprise and (most noticeably this season) The West Wing.

Frederick Zackel