Re: RARA-AVIS: Chandler essay

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 15 Nov 2001

--- Mark Sullivan < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> wrote:
> I got a notice from the journal Art Issues today in
> which they listed
> recent articles, including:
>
> Raymond Chandler's provocative 1906 essay "Realism
> and Fairyland"
>
> Say what?

I've never heard of it. Chandler was still in Europe studying languages or something in 1906, and, as far as I know, didn't publish anything until several years later--I believe his first publication was a poem in an English journal, but I can't swear to it.

It sounds like the title of an address given by Tolkien, but that was many years later, too. I suppose it might have been something written by Chandler while a student?

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/