Re: RARA-AVIS: sidekicks

From: Mark Sullivan ( DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net)
Date: 14 Nov 2001

Carrie wrote:

"Carol O'Connell's Kathy Mallory is arguably a sociopath and she hangs with this sweet unassuming fellow whose name I can't remember. I've only read "Mallory's Oracle" and didn't care for it . . ."

Good example, but like you, I find her unreadable. I read one after she was called the future of hardboiled in that GQ article a few years ago and that was more than enough. It was just too comic booky (in a bad way, unlike Greg Rucka whom I find comic booky in a good way), she was too much of a superhero, able to do anything and a bit psychic on top of that, if I recall correctly. All I can say is that if she is the future of hardboiled, I'll be looking even more to its past.

Mark