Re: RARA-AVIS: sidekicks

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 14 Nov 2001

Mark S wrote,
> : Just out of curiosity, are there any sidekick novels where the sociopath
> : is the main character and the honorable guy is the sidekick?

Bill Denton replied,
> I recently read Stark/Westklake's fifth Parker book, THE SCORE (where they
> hold up an entire town) and Grofield sort of works that way with Parker
> (the stone thief, not the writer). We've talked about Parker's
> badassedness and sociopathy. He doesn't need anyone to help him steal,
> torture or kill. Grofield's a lighter character, provides some comic
> relief, and seems to have more morals, from the two books I've seen him
> in.

Bill,

Neither is the honorable guy as Mark asked. Granted, in books they appear together for more than a scene (Parker's Slayground and Grofield's The Blackbird have the same first chapter.), clearly Parker is clearly the major character, but Grofield has as little regard for law as does Parker. Both will rob or kill if necessary without compunction. The difference being one is always serious and the other joking . Mark