RARA-AVIS: editing

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 13 Nov 2001

>From: Mario Taboada < matrxtech@yahoo.com>
>Subject: Re: RARA-AVIS: re: various film posts and the Ice Harvest

<<On the other hand, J.K. Rowling can write a 700+ page children's book where nothing is extraneous and everything works perfectly [and sell a hundred gajillion copies].>>

If you are referring to the philosopher's stone book
(forget the exact title), I beg to differ. About 150 pages go by and Harry Potter hasn't even gotten to his school.

before we veer totally OT into a debate on the merits of a certain bespectacled one, my only point was that a very long book isn't necessarily inflated - I'm actually referring to book 4, the very long one, which I found a lot tighter than book 1, to which Mario is referring. I only brought it up because a lot of people automatically starting grousing when the book came out that because it was so long the editors obviously weren't doing their job. I often have this reaction to long books in any genre, but that isn't always a fair criticism.

giving the list back to the Muggles now, Carrie

"When I finally caught up with Abraham Trahearne, he was drinking beer with an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts in a ramshackle joint just outside of Sonoma, California, drinking the heart right out of a fine spring afternoon."
-James Crumley, "The Last Good Kiss"