Re: RARA-AVIS: re: various film posts and the Ice Harvest

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 13 Nov 2001

<<On the other hand, J.K. Rowling can write a 700+ page children's book where nothing is extraneous and everything works perfectly [and sell a hundred gajillion copies].>>

If you are referring to the philosopher's stone book
(forget the exact title), I beg to differ. About 150 pages go by and Harry Potter hasn't even gotten to his school. The book works fine if you are reading it as a series of episodes (as I did when reading it to my children over many nights), but if I had been sitting by myself I would probably have chucked it after that lengthy introduction.

I had a similar problem with Pynchon's voluminous _Mason and Dixon_, except that the writing was so brilliant that it kept me going until I really got into the spirit of the book.

Regards,

MrT

=====