Re: RARA-AVIS: Does size matter?

From: Kent Westmoreland ( kentwestmoreland@hotmail.com)
Date: 12 Nov 2001

Neil wrote:

"Big long books that are pretty good but would've been better as shorter novels."

As some of the novelists on this list know, editors believe the public wants books of 400 words or more. As a result editors and agents encourage authors to write longer novels.

This, of course, extends past the crime genre. I recently read WICKED! THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THE WICKED WITCH OF THE WEST. The book is about 403 pages. I haven't talked to anyone who read the book that thinks the first seventy pages were pointless which made about twenty pages toward the end equally pointless.