RARA-AVIS: The Hollywood codes

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 12 Nov 2001

On Sat, 10 Nov 2001, ejmd__ wrote:

> On the Production Code, someone in the BBC film noir documentary, 'Dark
> and Deadly'--possibly the director of _Gun Crazy_ (name escapes
> me)--

Joseph H. Lewis, who died recently in the age of 95 or something. I have his autograph, in a still picture of "Gun Crazy" (the only autograph I have, actually, never collected them).

> recalls how the restrictions of the code made filmmakers more
> inventive, so they had to work around the code and oftentimes came up
> with something better than what they may have done if they hadn't had to
> devise a workaround.

This is a usual comment made on the Hollywood production codes. It's commonly thought that the Hays code in the thirties helped the Hollywood classicism to develop itself.

Juri