RARA-AVIS: Bifurcate; Crime and Punishment, USA; Trivial matters

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 12 Nov 2001

On Fri, 9 Nov 2001 marianne.macdonald@lineone.net wrote:

> but, Juri, my Oxford English Dictionary certainly knows
> "bifurcation", so the word is not too imaginary! Oxford + Websters
> cannot be wrong.

I have the Webster paperback at the office - no bifurcation. I have the massive Longmans at home - no bifucartion. Should probably get new dictionaries. But now I know what I means: thanks everyone.

To take this back to topic: remember I asked about a film called "Crime and Punishment, USA", made in 1959, by Denis Sanders? I finally saw it at the Finnish Film Archive. It's an adaptation (as you can guess) of the Dostoyevsky novel. The lead character is a young man, trying to study, but getting engaged in a robbery and a murder (it's never shown, the film begins with the police taking away the body). Bit stagy at times, too long scenes with people just talking, and sometimes not too convincing, but interesting nevertheless. (Sanders wrote the Raoul Walsh film "The Naked and the Dead" from Mailer's novel and later he directed the Elvis movie, "This Is Elvis". He also directed tv shows, such as Naked City and Mannix.)

Something more: I finished Crais's "Demolition Angel". Oh well, I didn't much care for the book in the end, but it will make at least a watchable movie. I started after this Edward Bunker's "Education of a Felon", which seems much more interesting.

Juri