RARA-AVIS: RE: Parker criticism

From: Gerald So ( gso@optonline.net)
Date: 11 Nov 2001

Re: Dick Lochte's query:

I moderate a list treating Spenser as a theme, tracing him from what may have influenced Parker to Parker's influence on writers and pop culture trends. I recently posted there on why I read/criticize Parker:

"I have a critical view of Parker because his work once stood up to it. Despite my criticism, I favor Parker. I pick up his next book even though I hated the last. I can only say that about Parker and Tom Clancy. I'm more loyal to characters than to authors if that makes sense. I give authors credit for creating great characters, but creating is not enough. The greater the character, the more I expect the author to sustain him.

Parker sustained Spenser for a long time, but IMO, he hasn't done right by Spenser since HUSH MONEY. ...The plots are there each year but, though the characters move quickly through them, I still feel gypped in the end. By contrast, I read from GODWULF through CRIMSON JOY three books a week, and didn't miss a beat.

Right now I don't want to believe Spenser...showed up for books like HUGGER MUGGER...Given what he's done (or hasn't done) recently, I almost feel Parker doesn't deserve creative control over Spenser..."

Again, I complain (and I suspect many here do) because Parker's work stood out on so many levels, hooking me on PI fiction and clean, sharp writing in general. Compared to his past work, it seems today's Parker isn't trying. If DEATH IN PARADISE is genuinely his best effort, I'll gladly withdraw my complaint.