Re: RARA-AVIS: invented cities

From: Brian Evankovich ( brianevankovich@hotmail.com)
Date: 09 Nov 2001

"I'm not sure whether or not anyone's ever figured out precisely what the model for Hammett's "Personville" is, but a lot of Hammett scholars think it's a fictionalized Butte, Montana (which is a town Hammett mentions in the very first sentence of the book)."

I don't know whether or not Personville was a stand-in for Butte, Montana, Jim, but I sure hope so! My folks grew up in Butte. It's always been a dumpy town - mining was the chief industry for a gazillion years and you'll notice Hammett says Personville has mining. My Dad has plenty of stories that will cooborate the Poisonville moniker! One incident he even took part in himself, regarding a crooked mayoral candidate. I'm going to write that book someday! <G> --Brian