RARA-AVIS: Healy

From: Carrie Pruett ( pruettc@hotmail.com)
Date: 07 Nov 2001

Well, I can't answer this for Mr. Healy, but I thought the first Cuddy,
"Blunt Darts" was a great read. Can't speak to how well it captures Boston as I've only spent a very short time there, (maybe 2 days total, in the early '90s, doing very touristy stuff) but I did get a good sense of place from the book. I've been told it is a good idea to read this series in order as Cuddy goes through a lot of changes. I NEVER read series in order because I am not patient enough to wait to find the right book - but in this case my library carries all of them, and I was going to go through them in order but haven't gotten back to it. I'll have to use this month to track down number 2. One thing about BD - like the early Scudder books, it's refreshingly concise. It's probably a function of publishing at the time, but with lightweight mysteries frequently topping 300 pages these days, it's nice to be reminded you don't need all this padding to tell a good story.

Oh, and welcome to the list, Mr. Healy :)

Carrie

Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 20:53:17 EST From: Mbdlevin@aol.com Subject: RARA-AVIS: Healy-Boston

Here's a loaded question for Jeremiah Healy. Which of your works would you recommend to new readers of your work? If you don't want to answer that one, maybe you could answer a similar one toward the topic of Boston: which of your books do you think best captures the ethos/geography/politics/etc. of Boston? I'm off to the bookstore upon your answer. Doug
- --
# majordomo@icomm.ca. This will not work for the digest version.

"When I finally caught up with Abraham Trahearne, he was drinking beer with an alcoholic bulldog named Fireball Roberts in a ramshackle joint just outside of Sonoma, California, drinking the heart right out of a fine spring afternoon."
-James Crumley, "The Last Good Kiss"