RARA-AVIS: RE: Hammett and Flitcraft

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@home.com)
Date: 05 Nov 2001

I realize this list has moved on to Boston, but, considering what originally brought us together, I think it's worth mentioning that
"Dashiell Hammett: A Daughter Remembers" by Jo Hammett has just been published. Though pricey at $30 (on glossy stock to accommodate a lot of family photos), it is worth every penny. Jo Hammett remembered quite a lot, including her father telling her the Flitcraft story (recently discussed here). "My father and I were out on the lawn in the backyard of my mother's house in West L.A. There was a blanket on the grass and cards spread out. My father had been playing solitaire. He was in a good mood, leaning back against the lawn chair, wearing trunks and the sandals he'd asked me to find in Westwood. And out of nowhere particular he told me the Flitcraft story ... He told it with such delight and enjoyment, like a funny story you want to share ..." She describes the story, then adds, "What I remember is his delight in the story -- as if it were a gift he had received that was just right. As a boy he had wanted to find the Ultimate Truth -- how the world operated. And here it was. There was no system except blind chance. Beams falling."