Re: RARA-AVIS: Theme of the month - Boston

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 Nov 2001

Just to put in a good word for the work of the late George V. Higgins, an author who, for me, has only grown in stature as I become more familiar with his books. Two extraordinary books are The Friends of Eddie Coyle and The Jugdment of Deke Hunter (the latter took me several tries until I finally read it straight over a weekend). Higgins is not an easy read, but the rewards justify the effort.

My reason for posting this is that Higgins has not achieved a recognition commensurate with his talent and originality. Also, unlike most crime writers, he dealt directly and in depth with political corruption. His canvases are not pretty but they are powerful. Besides, he was one of the best writers of dialogue ever, easily as good as Constantine and Leonard.

Regards,

MrT

=====