Re: RARA-AVIS: French Hard Boiled

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 05 Nov 2001

On Sun, 4 Nov 2001, Etienne Borgers wrote:

> There were a few discussions on R-A about prominent HB
> French writers.
> Jose Giovanni: creator of some of the best characters,
> mostly French mobsters or underworld people - a lot of
> his novels were adapted for cinema into brilliant
> French Noir films.

And he directed a few himself. Haven't seen any, but I've heard they were good, too.

> To answer a previous message: No, Maigret is
> definitely not HB… and only very marginally Noir (grey
> in fact, as already discussed a few monthe ago)

There has been a term "film gris" (meaning gray), maybe Simenon writes gris novels.

Add to the list of good French HB writers at least these:

Auguste LeBreton, the author of "Rififi"

Albert Simonin, the author of "Touchez pas au grisbi", a great gangster film by Jacques Becker, from 1953

Thierry Jonquet

Juri