RARA-AVIS: Re: dictionaries and Carroll John Daly online

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Nov 2001

--- Mark Sullivan < DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net> wrote:
> While I would have just used the word "split"
> (except, maybe, in an
> academic article) bifurcation is a real word. From
> my beat up old
> "Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary" (1976):
>
> "n 1 the act of bifurcating : the state of being
> bifurcated 2 a: the
> point at which bifurcating occurs b: BRANCH"

Not to belabor this off-topic point (okay, maybe to belabor it), I double-checked in the online OED before making that post. The OED trumps Webster's anyday, although obviously I was wrong about the word not appearing in any dictionary. On the other hand, the point of language is communicating, and "bifurcation" is pretty clear communication in my book (no offense to Juri and any other non-native speakers intended; and no offense intended to you, either, Mark, for the implied slight on your English usage). I probably should have sent my comment to Juri off-list in the first place.

And, to keep this post from being completely off-topic: someone once asked me about posting some of my graduate work online. I have a relatively short paper on Carroll John Daly that I am considering posting online for "peer review," as it were. Obviously, I don't want to go to the trouble if no one's interested. (I do quote fellow Rare Bird Bill Crider in the paper, among many others.) If anyone is willing to read this thing and comment, please email me (off-list, please--no point in cluttering up Rara-Avis with this) and I'll post it. In fact, I have one paper just about finished and one in progress; maybe I'll post them both.

And, on a related note, I am considering submitting the completed paper to CLUES or something similar? Does anyone have an address handy so that I can get some submission guidelines? A brief web search has not helped me, and while I've read dozens of articles through interlibrary loan, I've never actually seen a copy of the publication.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/