Re: RARA-AVIS: The Flitcraft episode again

From: George Upper ( gcupper3@yahoo.com)
Date: 03 Nov 2001

--- William Denton < buff@pobox.com> wrote:
> I mention it so we can keep track of all the spots
> Mr. Flitcraft shows up.
> He gets around.

I thought of this episode the other day when someone mentioned that the film version of THE MALTESE FALCON ruined the book for him or her (I can't remember who said it, and I'm too lazy to look it up). As I imagine most of us know, the Flitcraft story is one of the few significant omissions from the screenplay, but it's one of the keys, I think, to the novel--to D.H. in general, in fact. Anyone who is letting the film keep them from the book misses out on this, one of his finest pieces of writing.

Actually, anyone who lets the flim keep them from the book is missing much more than that, of course. But this makes for a nice, easily-defined example.

G.

===== George C. Upper III, Editor The Lightning Bell Poetry Journal http://www.lightningbell.org/