RARA-AVIS: Admin: new welcome message

From: William Denton ( buff@pobox.com)
Date: 31 Oct 2001

I was doing a bit of maintenance tonight and updated the list's welcome message, which was two and a half years old. It's much the same as before, except I changed "fiction" to "writing" and remind people that the list should stick to the hard stuff on paper. I'll include it below, just so everyone sees it.

By the way, there are now 160 people on the regular list and 188 on the digest version. I think the digest readers overtook the others sometime in the last year. (Digest readers: If a digest every comes out funny because of weird characters or attachments, let me know.) The list is two months shy of its fifth birthday.

I thought San Francisco month was interesting. Seems like most of us think of Hammett when we think of the city. Next up, Boston!

Here it is:

[Last updated on: Wed Oct 31 23:14:20 EST 2001]

Welcome to RARA-AVIS, the mailing list devoted to the discussion of hardboiled and noir writing.

Send your messages to rara-avis@icomm.ca.

Please follow these four rules of conduct:

        - No flames.
        - No binaries.
        - No MIME attachments.
        - Trim as much quoted text as possible from your replies
          (this definitely includes the footer added to the bottom
          of each message).

If you want to insult someone, do it in private e-mail. If you have a photograph, drawing, sound clip or video clip you'd like to share, please put it in an FTP site or on a web page, and announce it. If you can't do this, either offer to send it to people upon private request, or ask if someone would be kind enough to make it publicly available. These rules are taken seriously and they will be enforced.

Possible topics for discussion include:

        - Just what is hardboiled fiction?
        - How does it relate to film noir and/or the pulps?
        - Does Ross Macdonald belong in the triumvirate with Chandler
          and Hammett?
        - Who are the best modern practitioners?
        - Are there any truly hardboiled women writers?
        - How does the genre fit into modern literature?
        - Let me tell you about this great book I just read!
        - Matt Helm: he's nothing like Dean Martin.
        - What's happening in non-English noir writing?
        - etc., etc.

Things that aren't possible topics:

       - Anything that isn't related to hardboiled and noir writing.

Fiction, non-fiction, poetry and comics are all welcome topics; movies and so on are best discussed in relation to the written word.

There is no FAQ for the list, but lots of information is available by browsing or searching the list archives. See the URL below.

Everyone is welcome to join, no matter what their specific interest in the topic: fans, academics, collectors, writers, film noir buffs and people searching for the Maltese Falcon. It would be nice if you sent out a brief message saying hello, introducing yourself and perhaps outlining your interest in hardboiled fiction.

Both a regular version of the list (rara-avis) and a digest version
(rara-avis-digest) are available.

The web page for the list can be found at

        http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/

We have a reading and discussion forum going, where we all read a story or novel or author at the same time. All comments are welcome--list members range from interested fans of the genre to people doing their Ph.D. on a particular writer. You can find out what story we're on at

        http://www.miskatonic.org/rara-avis/reading.html

Please take a moment to browse iComm's web site. It's at

        http://www.icomm.ca/

iComm provides free Internet services to non-profit and charity groups and has donated the resources necessary to run this list.

Some quotes:

   It was about eleven o'clock in the morning, mid October, with the sun not shining and a look of hard wet rain in the clearness of the foothills. I was wearing my powder-blue suit, with dark blue shirt, tie and display handkerchief, black brogues, black wool socks with dark blue clocks on them. I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it. I was everything the well-dressed private detective ought to be. I was calling on four million dollars.
   - opening lines to THE BIG SLEEP, by Raymond Chandler

   "How c-could you?" she gasped.
   I only had a moment before talking to a corpse, but I got it in.
   "It was easy," I said.
   - closing lines to I, THE JURY, by Mickey Spillane

Signed,

William Denton < buff@pobox.com> The List-Owner