RARA-AVIS: RE: Red Harvest progeny

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@home.com)
Date: 31 Oct 2001

Re the discussion on variations on "Red Harvest," you can add Stephen Hunter's new powerhouse "Pale Horse Coming." Actually, it's an update on Aeschylus' "Seven Against Thebes." Hunter mentions this, possibly as a reminder that neither "Red Harvest," nor the novels that have come after, nor the films "Seven Samurai" and "Magnificent Seven" have any real claim to originality.

Hunter's amazing series of novels ("Dirty White Boys," "Point of Impact," "Hot Springs," etc.) covering two generations of the crimefighting Swagger family definitely fall into the noir category and I'm surprised they haven't to my knowledge been discussed here. They may in fact be the contemporary novel's primary link to the Black Mask days, providing satisfaction on both mainstream and pulp levels.

Dick Lochte