Re: RARA-AVIS: "Red Harvest" and characterization

From: Juri Nummelin ( jurnum@utu.fi)
Date: 31 Oct 2001

On Tue, 30 Oct 2001, Mark Sullivan wrote:

> I had written:
> "But as for puzzles or mysteries, couldn't care less.
> Maybe Chandler's "The Long Goodbye", since it's so
> tightly woven."
> Juri, do you really think Long Goodbye was much of a mystery (in the
> whodunnit sense)? Not even Chandler thought that:

Well, maybe I should read it again (it would be fourth or fifth time). Maybe I was thinking that the plot and tensions between Terry Lennox and his wife and the Wade family was intriguing. It was not confusing like these things usually are with Chandler (for example, in "Farewell My Lovely" - I just don't understand what's going on in there). It's so carefully constructed that it amazes me. I know the quote from Chandler, but I think he's wrong: the mystery is not obvious.

Or maybe I am just dumb and don't get it.

Juri