Re: RARA-AVIS: "Red Harvest" and characterization

From: Kent Westmoreland ( kentwestmoreland@hotmail.com)
Date: 30 Oct 2001

Mark wrote: Why must a character change? (Yes, I know it's one of the textbook traits of the novel.)

My thoughts:

I believe Ed McBain once said that in a crime novel the characters don't change, the situation changes (i.e. the crime is solved, the guilty are punished).

Personally this is what I prefer because it seems more realistic to me. In real life how many people really change? particularly in the week or month which most novels occur.

Do series leads really change? Have Burke, Spenser or even Skip Langdon changed?

I wish Lehane's lead character would chnage. He whines too much.