Re: RARA-AVIS: bloated characterizations?

From: Mario Taboada ( matrxtech@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Oct 2001

<<(Haven't yet read any Connelly, but it seems that his books are huge, so they *might* be bloated.)>>

Not really. His books are long mainly because his plots are devilishly complicated (excessively so, sometimes). At one point, more precisely in The Last Coyote, he seemed to give Harry Bosch more play time than he deserves (to me, he's not an interesting character) but that's the exception.

Since they were mentioned together, I don't think Connelly will ever paint the kind of canvas that Pelecanos has created. Connelly is a journalistic kind of writer, a very fine one at that. He is also a master of suspense.

Regards,

MrT

=====