Re: RARA-AVIS: The Op and San Francisco

From: M Blumenthal ( blumenidiot@21stcentury.net)
Date: 29 Oct 2001

Bill Denton:

> Dell Mapback #129 was THE CONTINENTAL OP. I picked up a cheap copy a
> couple of years ago just for the cover--the contents had already detached
> so I just recycled them. The map on the back is of San Francisco, with
> Embarcadero running north along the right hand side of the page, then
> north-west up to the top; Market runs north-east up from the bottom left,
> and 14th (Street?) runs along the bottom, above the legend that maps out
> locations from "Fly Paper," "Death on Pine St." and "Zigzags of
> Treachery." It's nice being able to follow the Babe McCloor chase on a
> map. I imagine Don Herron covers that on his tour.

I had forgotten about using mapbacks for this month. . I have that book. I also have HAMMETT HOMICIDES , # 223 which has maps for House in Turk Street, Girl with the Silver Eyes, Night Shots and The Main Death. and BLOOD MONEY, # 486. A couple more I have are not of San Francisco.. They all are actually in better shape than some George V Higins' books I bought recently which are from the 70's. Mark